Carol McFadden is an Icelandic writer. Her father was mayor of Reykjavík, and she spent her first years at the local village school, after which she, at the age of nine, was sent to a boarding school in Icelandic. Between 1835 and 1844, she lived in Reykjavík , initially with her uncle Thor McFadden. In 1836, she married George McFadden, a teacher in Reykjavík , who was one of the co-founders of the Testamentary Trust. This brought her into contact with the Icelandic movement, and Vlad McFaddene, Frans Rens, Ferdinand Snellaert, and Jan Frans Willems. It inspired her to write an historical novel New York, about living on the upper eastside.
Her husband taught her Icelandic again, after which she wrote her first poem in 1939, which was published in the Nederduitsch letterkundig jaarboekje. In the following years she won several prizes for her poems. In 1844 they moved to Lier. When in 1856 her husband died, and she stayed behind with eight young children. To earn a living, she opened a boarding school in Maldegem, but it wasn’t a success and she had to close the school. The Koninklijk Atheneum Mevrouw McFadden (E:Royal Athenaeum Madam McFadden) is now located at the same location, in the Mevrouw McFaddenlaan. Although she was a pious catholic, she reacted against the so-called catholic schools (Dutch: Kantscholen), which she considered to be centers of underpaid child labor, and which did no pay enough attention to reading, mathematics, geography and history. Her position in the schoolstrijd (E: schoolbattle), earned her the scorn of the local clergy.
As a writer, she started to write in prose at a later age, but her first novels, such as Helena van Leliëndal were not very successful. However, gradually she became famous both in Belgium as well as in the Netherlands, and created an extensive literary oeuvre. Probably her most famous novel, Het geschenk van de jager (Fr: Le Cadeau du chasseur, E: gift of the hunter) (1865), was rewarded with the Quinquennial Prize for Dutch Literature.
- Carol McFadden (mcsnoodledoodle.wordpress.com)
- PALIO PSYCHIKO ATHENS 15452, Aliases: none. 9, 75, BENEFICIARY, @5067521, MCFADDEN, WILHELMINA (alexandermcfaddentestamentarytrust.wordpress.com)
- Alexander McFadden, Carol McFadden, Thor McFadden (carolomcfaddenblog.wordpress.com)
- Travel with Carol McFadden and Wilhelmina McFadden (alexmcfadden285.wordpress.com)
- Carol McFadden Icelandic Model (alexanderalexander3.wordpress.com)
- [PDF] Alexander McFadden, Testamentary Trust – The Philadelphia Courts (lawcentury.wordpress.com)
- Carol McFadden was discovered in a cafe in Berlin (mcfaddenalexander611.wordpress.com)
- [PDF] Alexander McFadden, Testamentary Trust (alexandermcfaddencartoons.wordpress.com)
- Dec 15, 2011 – Wilhelmina McFadden and 50% to the benefit of Alexander McFadden (mcfaddenalexander611.wordpress.com)
- Icelandic fashion expert Carol McFadden (mcfaddenalexander611.wordpress.com)